Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Cop a Feel. . . You Know You Want To!


Its cancer awareness month and so much attention has been placed on breast cancer. I admire those individuals, both women and men, who have battled this disease and come out of it, stronger and healthy. I empathize with their families who support them, scared for their loved ones, praying for a cure. I am pained for the ones that don't survive and are taken, in many cases, too young, leaving their children and loved ones behind to grieve their loss. I myself, have had two separate breast biopsies over the years and a possible third biopsy coming up in the next few weeks. I found a lump under my right armpit a little over one month ago and have gone to see a variety of doctors seeking opinions. I have been told its anything from an infected cyst, a swollen lymph node caused by an allergy to my deodorant, to a possible tumor related to breast cancer or Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I've been put on antibiotics and prednisone as a treatment and advised to stop using my deodorant, with no improvements at all. The third doctor I saw, finally conceded that I get a mammogram and wrote me the referral.

I just turned 40 this year and the new screening guidelines state that women should not begin routine breast cancer screenings until we reach the age of 50- this recommendation comes from the U.S. Preventative Task Force. The American Cancer Society continues to recommend this type of screening begin at age 40 with baseline data being collected much sooner than that, especially if there is a family history. I guess I am fortunate in a sense, given that I had my first mammogram at the age of 19 because of some fatty tissue connected to my left breast. The second mammogram I had, was during my 2nd pregnancy with Ben, during which time, several lumps formed in both breasts, which can be quite common in pregnancy. I underwent my first biopsy at that time. I remember how scared I was not only because of the actual procedure, but the fear of receiving a possible cancer diagnosis. Ultimately, the biopsy was negative and eventually the lumps disappeared. My second biopsy was done in January of 2007. Again, I found a lump in my right breast, went through the mammogram and ultrasound, which uncovered a few more suspicious masses and finally, the second biopsy with the end result being the same as the first. I was told at that time, that the lumps in my breasts were to due a benign condition known as fibrocystic breast changes, in layman's terms, lumpy breasts caused by fluctuations in hormones.

Since then, I have noticed many lumps that come and go. I admit that I don't engage in formal monthly self breast exams, but I do it often enough to feel confident in noting any changes. The lump that I discovered last month, is somewhat different in texture than the previous ones I have found in my breast tissue itself. Another concern is that I have some discharge in my right nipple which is unnerving in itself as I haven't experienced this symptom before. My mammogram is scheduled for this coming Monday. I fully expect an ultrasound to follow with a recommendation for a biopsy. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

Here are some statistics according to the CDC (August 2010),

"Aside from non-melanoma skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer in women. Breast cancer is the number one cause of cancer death in Hispanic women. It is the second most common cause of cancer death in white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native women.

In 2006 (the most recent year numbers are available)—

  • 191,410 women were diagnosed with breast cancer.*"
  • 40,820 women died from breast cancer.*† "
Additionally, breast cancer rates by age are as follow:

"The risk of getting breast cancer increases with age. The table below shows the percentage of women (how many out of 100) who will get breast cancer over different time periods. The time periods are based on the woman's current age.

For example, go to current age 60. The table shows 3.45% of women who are now 60 years old will get breast cancer sometime during the next 10 years. That is, 3 or 4 out of every 100 women who are 60 years old today will get breast cancer by the age of 70.

Percent of U.S. Women Who Develop Breast Cancer over 10-, 20-, and 30-Year Intervals According to Their Current Age, 2005–2007†
Current Age 10 Years 20 Years 30 Years
30 0.43 1.86 4.13
40 1.45 3.75 6.87
50 2.38 5.60 8.66
60 3.45 6.71 8.65
Although rare, men can be affected by breast cancer as well. According to the CDC,

"Men can get breast cancer. In men, breast cancer can happen at any age, but is most common in men who are between 60 and 70 years old. Male breast cancer is not very common. For every 100 cases of breast cancer, less than 1 is in men.

For men, signs of breast cancer and treatment are almost the same as for women."

Of course breast cancer is just one form of cancer and it is just as important to screen for other types. You can look up the CDC website or the American Cancer Society website for more information regarding recommendations for other types of cancer screenings.

If you're anything like me, the "C" word terrifies you. I have witnessed first hand, how devastating this disease process can be. Sometimes, I feel like not knowing, is the lesser of two evils- but its not. We need to learn to put ourselves at the top of our priority list, if not for ourselves, then for our families. Know your own body. Go to the doctor for regular check-ups. Become an advocate if necessary, to obtain the referrals you feel you need. Don't let a doctor be in charge of your health. Its not their life, its yours and you are the best person to determine what is normal and what is not, in terms of your own body.

My sincerest prayers go out to all of the brave women and men who are currently fighting this battle and my deepest sympathy goes out to those families who have lost a loved one along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment